For those of you blessed with the zoning or space that allows you to have an outdoor grill, summer is a special time. Whether gas or charcoal, the process of cooking on a steel contraption outside of your kitchen is as much an element of […]
*** UPDATE: US Mills, the company that distributes the Erewhon brand Crispy Brown Rice cereal we used in this dish asked if they could include this recipe on their site. Check out our recipe featured here and check out all the other cool recipes they have online.***
This dish sounds fancy but it’s actually quite easy and sure to impress! The trick to this is using the crispy brown rice cereal to make a light but very crispy crust. Finished off with a lemony, nutty sauce, the whole dish packs a wallop in every bite.
Watch out, this chicken is about to sock you in the mouth with flavor!
- 1 pack of thin sliced chicken breast (usually yields about 5-6 pieces)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, plus a splash of water
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal (I used Erewhon brand)
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 4 tbs butter
- In a medium sized bowl, crack your egg and add in a splash of cold water, a pinch of salt and pepper. Beat the mixture to combine.
- Place your brown rice krispies in a ziploc bag and add 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Squeeze out the air, seal the bag and then break the pieces up really good. You’re not looking for a powder consistency, something more like big crumbs. Place the mixture on a large plate.
- Take your chicken and coat in the egg mixture, allow the excess to drip off and then coat well with your brown rice crumbs. When all pieces are coated, set aside for about 15 minutes. If you fry them up right away, the mixture won’t adhere to the chicken as well, waiting a little while allows the coating to set up.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, melt in your butter. Add in your chicken and don’t move them around in the pan at all, you want to build up a nice crust. Cook the chicken about 3 minutes per side, remove and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 tbs butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and pecans to your pan. Stir well and heat the mixture for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the pecan brown butter over the chicken and enjoy.