The secret here is the Honeycrisp apple. The sweet, tartness of the apple combined with the earthiness of the caulfilower and the tangy goat cheese makes for one winning combination! 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets 1 Honeycrisp apple, chopped into 2″ chunks salt […]
Tag: goat cheese
Trade in the beef for turkey, add in some goat cheese and portabello mushrooms and this certainly ain’t your Mama’s meatloaf! 1 lb ground turkey 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles 1 container of baby bellas, finely chopped 1/2 cup oats 1 small white onion, finely […]
Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern dish made up of ground chickpeas and spices and Tzatziki is a Greek sauce made from yogurt and fresh herbs. The combination of falafel patties fried up over greens and topped with the yummy tzatziki sauce makes for one hearty meal. Best of all? With this dish you get to travel to two exotic countries without ever leaving your kitchen!
Ingredients for Salad:
- 1 package of falafel mix (we like Telma brand)
- water for mix (see instructions on box)
- 1/4 slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- goat cheese crumbles
Ingredients for Tzatziki:
- 1 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- handful of fresh mint
- handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- juice of half a lemon
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of coriander
- pinch of cumin
- For tzatziki, simply combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Letting the mixture sit, allows the flavors to marry. This can be made up to a day in advance, just make sure and stir before serving.
- Prepare your falafel mix according to package instructions. (Super easy!)
- Fry up your falafel patties according to package directions and set aside on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- To assemble your salad, place your spinach in a bowl with your kalamatas, falafel patties and top with your tzatziki mixture. Drizzle you dressing over it and top with toasted almonds.
- Falafel mix can be found in your International foods aisle.
- To toast your almonds, place in a small pan over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until they begin to brown slightly. Keep and eye on them, they burn easily.